The potency of bay leaves extract (Syzygiumpolyanthum) as anti-inflammation in Rattus norvegicus induced with Complete Freundâ€™s Adjuvant
The using of herbal plants in Indonesia as medicine based on traditional knowledge. One of the herbal plants that believed has medication effect is bay leaves (Syzygiumpolyanthum). Bay leaves contain a flavonoid that can prevent inflammation. The study aims to prove the potency of bay leaves extract to prevent the inflammation, which is indicated by decreasing the paw edema thickness in rat induced with Complete Freund's Adjuvant (CFA). This study used 25 animal models of male rat (Rattus norvegicus) strain Wistar that divided into five groups, one group for a normal group (no treatment), one group for positive control which was injected with CFA sub plantar and given treatment with Na CMC and three test groups which is got three different doses of bay leaves extract peroral and the doses were 100 mg/kg BW, 300 mg/kg BW, 400 mg/kg BW, and injected with CFA into the sub plantar. Bay leaves extract was given one hour per oral before injected with CFA. The measurement of paw edema was done at 24 hours after CFA injection. The result of this study showed that bay leaves extract gave the anti-inflammation effect to the rats which were injected with CFA. It is concluded that bay leaves extract containing flavonoids plays a role in inhibit cytokines proinflammatory synthesis.
There is no Figure or data content available for this article
2. Rathee P, Chaudhary H, Rathee S, Rathee D, Kumar V, Kohli K. Mechanism of action of flavonoids as anti-inflammatory agents: a review. Inflammation allergy-drug targets. 2009;8(3):229-235.
3. Purohit KSaD. Therapeutic Effect Of Flavonoids As Anti-Inflammatory Agents. World Journal Of Pharmacy And Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016;5(12):532-543.
4. Kandahari AM, Yang X, Dighe AS, Pan D, Cui Q. Recognition of immune response for the early diagnosis and treatment of osteoarthritis. Journal of immunology research. 2015.
5. Punchard NA, Whelan CJ, Adcock I. The journal of inflammation. In: BioMed Central; 2004.
6. Silalahi M. Syzygium polyanthum (Wight) Walp. Jurnal Dinamika Pendidikan. 2017;10(1):1-16.
7. Rahim ENAA, Ismail A, Omar MN, Rahmat UN, Ahmad WANW. GC-MS analysis of phytochemical compounds in Syzygium polyanthum leaves extracted using ultrasound-assisted method. Pharmacognosy Journal. 2018;10(1).
8. Restusari L, Arifin H, Dachriyanus YY. Pengaruh Fraksi Air Ekstrak Etanol Daun Salam (Syzygium polyanthum Wight.) Terhadap kadar asam urat darah pada tikus putih jantan hiperurisemiaâ€“diabetes. Prosiding Seminar Nasional dan Workshop â€œPerkembangan Terkini Sains Farmasi dan Klinik IVâ€ 2014:299-309.
9. Serafini M, Peluso I, Raguzzini A. Flavonoids as anti-inflammatory agents. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society. 2010;69(3):273-278.
10. Wientarsih I, Iskandar M, Saputra GH. The Effect of Bay Leaves Infusum (Syzygium polyanthum (Wight)) on anti inflammation in White Rat Sprague-Dawley. Paper presented at: Proceding of the Mini Workshop Southeast Asia Germany Alumni Network (SEAG)" Empowering of Society Through the Animal Health and Production Activities with the Appreciation to the Indigenous Knowledge": May 3rd-5, 2007, Manado-Indonesia2008.
11. Spagnuolo C, Moccia S, Russo GL. Anti-inflammatory effects of flavonoids in neurodegenerative disorders. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2018;153:105-115.
12. Coffman RL, Sher A, Seder RA. Vaccine adjuvants: putting innate immunity to work. Immunity. 2010;33(4):492-503.
13. Navarro-Alvarez N, GonÃ§alves BM, Andrews AR, Sachs DH, Huang CA. A CFA-induced model of inflammatory skin disease in miniature swine. International journal of inflammation. 2018:1-8.
14. Benavente-Garcia O, Castillo J. Update on uses and properties of citrus flavonoids: new findings in anticancer, cardiovascular, and anti-inflammatory activity. Journal of agricultural food chemistry. 2008;56(15):6185-6205.
15. Sumono A, Sd AW. The use of bay leaf (Eugenia polyantha Wight) in dentistry. Dental Journal. 2008;41(3):147-150.
16. Pan M-H, Lai C-S, Ho C-T. Anti-inflammatory activity of natural dietary flavonoids. Food function. 2010;1(1):15-31.
17. Leyva-LÃ³pez N, Gutierrez-Grijalva EP, Ambriz-Perez DL, Heredia JB. Flavonoids as cytokine modulators: a possible therapy for inflammation-related diseases. International journal of molecular sciences. 2016;17(6):921.
18. Fehrenbacher JC, Vasko MR, Duarte DB. Models of inflammation: carrageenanâ€or complete freund's adjuvant (CFA)â€“induced edema and hypersensitivity in the rat. Current protocols in pharmacology. 2012;56(1):5.4. 1-5.4. 4.
19. Nagarkar B, Jagtap S. Effect of new polyherbal formulations DF1911, DF2112 and DF2813 on CFA induced inflammation in rat model. BMC complementary alternative medicine. 2017;17(1):194.
20. Li M, Shi J, TANG Jr, et al. Effects of complete Freund's adjuvant on immunohistochemical distribution of ILâ€1Î² and ILâ€1R I in neurons and glia cells of dorsal root ganglion 1. Acta pharmacologica Sinica. 2005;26(2):192-198.
21. Tatiya AU, Saluja AK, Kalaskar MG, Surana SJ, Patil PH. Evaluation of analgesic and anti-inflammatory activity of Bridelia retusa (Spreng) bark. Journal of traditional complementary medicine. 2017;7(4):441-451.
22. Sudiana IK. Hantaran Sinyal Pada Proses Inflamasi. Airlangga University Press. 2017(Surabaya).
23. HoÅ¡ek J, Å mejkal KJ. Flavonoids as anti-inflammatory agents. Encyclopedia of Inflammatory Diseases. 2016(Parnham, M., Ed.):Springer: New York, NY, USA.
How to Cite This
Copyright and Permissions
Publishing your paper with Jurnal Teknologi Laboratorium (JTL) means that the author or authors retain the copyright in the paper. JTL granted an exclusive reuse license by the author(s), but the author(s) are able to put the paper onto a website, distribute it to colleagues, give it to students, use it in your thesis etc, even commercially. The author(s) can reuse the figures and tables and other information contained in their paper published by JTL in future papers or work without having to ask anyone for permission, provided that the figures, tables or other information that is included in the new paper or work properly references the published paper as the source of the figures, tables or other information, and the new paper or work is not direct at private monetary gain or commercial advantage.
JTL journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. This journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This license lets others remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
JTL journal Open Access articles are distributed under this Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-SA). Articles can be read and shared for All purposes under the following conditions:
- BY: You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- SA: If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.