Main Article Content
Treatment of infections using penicillin-derived antibiotics such as methicillin has been found to cause antibiotic-resistant bacteria. This bacteria could produce a beta-lactamase enzyme to form a resistant strain. Research on antibacterial activity continues to develop. Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) was one of the herbal plants whose fruit has long been used for the treatment and prevention of various diseases. This study aimed to determine the potential inhibition of white pomegranate leaf extracts (Punica granatum L.) on the growth of Gram-negative bacteria including Escherichia coli Extended-Spectrum Beta-Lactamase (ESBL) strain and Gram-positive bacteria Staphylococcus aureus Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) strain. White pomegranate leaf extract macerated with ethanol 96%, evaporated to obtain pure extracts made with a concentration of 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90% and with 100% tested with invitro diffusion method. It was found that the extract of white pomegranate leaves with 30% (10.00 Â± 0.0) concentration was able to inhibit the growth of positive Gram bacteria strains MRSAÂ and the extract was unable to inhibit the growth of Escherichia coli bacteria strain ESBL.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Publishing your paper with Jurnal Teknologi Laboratorium (JTL) means that the author or authors retain the copyright in the paper. JTL granted an exclusive reuse license by the author(s), but the author(s) are able to put the paper onto a website, distribute it to colleagues, give it to students, use it in your thesis etc, even commercially. The author(s) can reuse the figures and tables and other information contained in their paper published by JTL in future papers or work without having to ask anyone for permission, provided that the figures, tables or other information that is included in the new paper or work properly references the published paper as the source of the figures, tables or other information, and the new paper or work is not direct at private monetary gain or commercial advantage.
JTL journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. This journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This license lets others remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
JTL journal Open Access articles are distributed under this Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-SA). Articles can be read and shared for All purposes under the following conditions:
- BY: You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- SA: If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
2. Joshi C, Patel P, Kothari V. Anti-infective potential of hydroalcoholic extract of punica granatum peel against gram-negative bacterial pathogens [version 1; referees: 1 approved, 2 approved with reservations]. F1000Research. 2019;8. doi:10.12688/f1000research.17430.1
3. Skariyachan S, Krishnan RS, Siddapa SB, Salian C, Bora P, Sebastian D. Computer aided screening and evaluation of herbal therapeutics against MRSA infections. Bioinformation. 2011;7(5):222-233. doi:10.6026/97320630007222
4. Navarro-Garcia F, Elias WP. Autotransporters and virulence of enteroaggregative E. coli. Gut Microbes. 2011;2(1):13-24. doi:10.30597/mkmi.v14i3.3307
5. Hardana H, Warganegara E. Ekstrak Buah Delima Sebagai Antibiotik Pengobatan Infeksi MRSA. Majority. 2015;4(9):83-87. http://juke.kedokteran.unila.ac.id/index.php/majority/article/view/1414/1257
6. Ariami P, Danuyanti I, Anggraeni BR. Efektifitas Teh Kulit Buah Manggis (Garcinia mangostana L) Sebagai Antimikroba Terhadap Ppertumbuhan Bakteri Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Teknol Lab. 2017;3(6):3-8.
7. Wafa BA, Makni, Mohamed, et al. Antimicrobial effect of the Tunisian Nana variety Punica granatum L. extracts against Salmonella enterica (serovars Kentucky and Enteritidis) isolated from chicken meat and phenolic composition of its peel extract. Int J Food Microbiol. 2017;2(4):123-131.
8. Shaygannia E, Bahmani M, Zamanzad B, Rafieian-Kopaei M. A Review Study on Punica granatum L. J Evidence-Based Complement Altern Med. 2016;2(3):221-227. doi:10.1177/2156587215598039
9. Saeed M, Naveed M, BiBi, J. K, et al. The Promising Pharmacological Effects and Therapeutic/Medicinal Applications of Punica Granatum L. (Pomegranate) as a Functional Food in Humans and Animals. Recent Pat Inflamm Allergy Drug Discov. 2018;1(12):24-38. doi:10.20473/ijtid.v8i1.11455
10. Wu S, Tian L. Diverse phytochemicals and bioactivities in the ancient fruit and modern functional food pomegranate (punica granatum). Molecules. 2017;22(10). doi:10.3390/molecules22101606
11. Bishayee A, Bhatia D, Thoppil RJ, Darvesh AS, Nevo E, Lansky EP. Pomegranate-mediated chemoprevention of experimental hepatocarcinogenesis involves Nrf2-regulated antioxidant mechanisms. Carcinogenesis. 2011;32(6):888-896. doi:10.1093/carcin/bgr045
12. Naghma Khan, Syed, D. N., Pal, H. C., Mukhtar, H., & Afaq F. Pomegranate fruit extract inhibits UVB-induced inflammation and proliferation by modulating NF-ÎºB and MAPK signaling pathways in mouse skin. Photochem Photobiol. 2012;8(55):1126-1134. doi:10.35790/ecl.4.1.2016.10830
13. Plumb GW, De Pascual-Teresa S, Santos-Buelga C, Rivas-Gonzalo JC, Williamson G. Antioxidant properties of gallocatechin and prodelphinidins from pomegranate peel. Redox Rep. 2002;7(1):41-46. doi:10.1179/135100002125000172
14. Morrissey I, Magnet S, Hawser S, Shapiro S, Phillipp Knechtle. In Vitro Acitivity of Cefepime Enmetazobactam againts Gram-Negative Isolates Collected from U.S and European Hospitals during 2014-2015. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2019;63(7):1-9.
15. Al-Zoreky N.S. Antimicrobial activity of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) fruit peels. Int J Food Microbiol. 2009;3(134):244-248.
16. Barathikannan K, Venkatadri B, Khusro A, et al. Chemical analysis of Punica granatum fruit peel and its in vitro and in vivo biological properties. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2016;16(1):1-10. doi:10.1186/s12906-016-1237-3
17. Kusmiyati, Agustini NWS. Antibacterial Compound Activity Test of Microalgae Porphyridium cruentum. Biodiversitas. 2007;1(8):48-53. doi:10.13057/psnmbi/m050108
18. Warsi W, Sulistyani N. Optimasi Waktu Produksi Metabolit Sekunder dan Skrining Aktivitas Antibakteri Isolat Actinomycetes Rizosfer Tanaman Tin (Ficus carica) The. J Teknol Lab. 2018;7(1):15. doi:10.29238/teknolabjournal.v7i1.120
19. Susilawati NM, Ramona Y, I made Oka Adi Parwata. The Effect of Bark Crude Extract Concentration Of Schleichera oleosa (Lour) Oken On The In Vitro Growth of E. coli. J Biol Sci. 2016;2(3):96-102. doi:10.2307/2257356
20. Navindra P Seeram, , Lynn S Adams, S., Henning, M., Niu, Y., Zhang, Y., Nair, M. G., & Heber D. In vitro antiproliferative, apoptotic and antioxidant activities of punicalagin, ellagic acid and a total pomegranate tannin extract are enhanced in combination with other polyphenols as found in pomegranate juice. J Nutr Biochem. 2005;6(16):360-367.
21. Nurdin KE, Olla LRY, Feoh SF, et al. Effectivity Test of 96% from Soe (Citrus sinensis L.) Sweet Orange Rind Ethanol Extract as Biolarvaside. J Info Kesehat. 2019;17(2):176-183. doi:10.31965/infokes.vol17.iss2.278