Evaluation of Pneumatic Tube System on the Results of Routine Hematology Test: (Prothrombin Time (PPT), Activated Partial Thromboplastin Time (APTT), and Potassium)
Pneumatic tube system (PTS) is a transport medium that is widely used in hospitals. The samples transported via PTS would get vibrations due to changing air velocity and pressure. This unstable pressure could cause pre-analytic errors in laboratory measurements. It happened because it damages erythrocytes and lymphocytes and causes hemolysis. Every hospital that uses PTS are advised to validate and investigate that PTS has the possibility of haemolysis and impacts laboratory results of blood specimens. The purpose of the study was to validate and evaluate the effect of using PTS on the results of routine haematology tests, PPT, APTT, and potassium. This research was an experimental research that used 30 samples. The research used statistical test which was paired t-test. Data were analysed with Prism GraphPad 8 software. There was no significant difference between WBC, RBC, Hb, HCT, MCV, MCH, MCHC, PPT, and APTT. Moreover, there was a significant difference between the results of PLT and potassium in the samples transported via PTS and delivered by courier transport.
There is no Figure or data content available for this article
- Shibani W., Zulkafli.M., Basuno.B. Methods of transport technologies: a review on using tube/tunnel systems. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. IOP Conference Series Materials Science and Engineering, 2016,160(1), DOI:10.1088/1757-899X/160/1/012042
- Simundic A.M. The effect of transport by pneumatic tube system on blood cell count, erythrocyte sedimentation, and coagulation tests. Biochem Med 2013;23:206-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.11613/BM.2013.024.
- Felder, RA. Preanalytical errors introduced by sample transportation systems: a means to assess them. Clin Chem 2011; 57:1349-50. http://dx.doi.org/10.1373/clinchem.2011.172452.
- Lee AJ, Suk Suh H, Jeon CH, Kim SG. Effects of one directional pneumatic tube system on routine hematology and chemistry parameters A validation study at a tertiary care hospital. Pract Lab Med. 2017; 9: 12-1. Available from: https://dio.org/10.1016/j.plabm.2017.07.002
- Kapoula G V., Kontou PI, Bagos PG. The Impact of Pneumatic Tube system on laboratory parameters: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2017; 55(12): 1834-44.
- Kurniawan, LB. , Aswin N & Uleng B. Pneumatic tube against routine blood and lactate dehydrogenase Indonesian Journal of Clinical Pathology and Medical Laboratory, 2015, 21(2), ISSN 0854-4263.
- Subbarayan, D. The Effects of Sample Transport by Pneumatic Tube System on Routine Hematology and Coagulation Tests. NCBI. Advances in Hematology, 2018 https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/6940152.
- Sandgren, P., Larsson, S., Waisan, P., & Diedrich, B,A. 2014. The effects of pneumatic tube transport on fresh and stored platelets in additive solution. Blood Transfus 2014; 12: 85-90 DOI 10.2450/2013.0097-13
- Evliyaoqlu O, Toprak G, Tekin A, Basarali MK, Kilinc C, --. Effect of Pneumatic Tube Delivery System Rate and Distance on Hemolysis of Blood Samples. J Clin Lab Anal. 2012; 26(2): 66–69.
- Tiwari AK, Pandey P, Dixit S, Raina V. Speed of Sample Transportation by A Pneumatic Tube System Can InfluenceThe Degree of Hemolysis. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2011; 50(3): 471–474.
- Quellec, S., Paris, M., Nougier, C., Sobas, F., Rugeri, F., Girard, A., Bordet, J.C., Negrier, C., & Dargaud., Y. 2016. Preanalytical Effects Of Pneumatic Tube System Transport On Routine Hematology And Coagulation Test, Global Coagulation Assays And Platelet Function Assays. Elsevier. Thrombosis Research 153 (2017) 7-13.http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2016.12.022
- Cakirca, G. & Erdal, H. 2017. The Effect of Pneumatic Tube System on the Hemolysis of Biochemistry Blood Samples. Journal of Emergency Nursing. 2016;43:255-8. http://dx.doi/10.1016/j.en.2016.09.007
- Kara, H., Bayir, A., Ak, A., Degirmenci, S., Akinci, M., Agacayak, A., Marcil, E., & Azap, M.2014. Hemolysis associated with Pneumatic Tube System Transport for Blood Samples. Pak J Med Sci: 30(1). http://dx.doi.org/10.12669/pjms.301.4228
How to Cite This
Copyright and Permissions
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Publishing your paper with Jurnal Teknologi Laboratorium (JTL) means that the author or authors retain the copyright in the paper. JTL granted an exclusive reuse license by the author(s), but the author(s) are able to put the paper onto a website, distribute it to colleagues, give it to students, use it in your thesis etc, even commercially. The author(s) can reuse the figures and tables and other information contained in their paper published by JTL in future papers or work without having to ask anyone for permission, provided that the figures, tables or other information that is included in the new paper or work properly references the published paper as the source of the figures, tables or other information, and the new paper or work is not direct at private monetary gain or commercial advantage.
JTL journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. This journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This license lets others remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
JTL journal Open Access articles are distributed under this Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-SA). Articles can be read and shared for All purposes under the following conditions:
- BY: You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- SA: If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.