The effects of IR-Bagendit rice leaf infusions from Blora on renal tubular degeneration and necrosis: (Study on Wistar albino rats covered with plumbum acetate)
Plumbum exposure still becomes a health problem in Indonesia. Plumbum (Pb) is widely used in various industries; thus, it can cause health problems, including impaired kidney functions. The accumulation of Pb rise to degeneration and necrosis of renal tubule cells. Therefore, preventive efforts are necessary to inhibit renal function deterioration. Infused extract of IR Bagendit rice leaf from Blora contains protein metallothionein which could bind PB covalently. This study aims to determine the supplementation of IR Bagendit rice leaf infusion to inhibit degeneration and necrosis of renal tubular cells exposed to Pb. The experimental research method was conducted using Wistar albino rats divided into five groups: negative control group, positive group, and treatment groups 1, 2, and 3. Each group consisted of six rats. The negative control group only received a placebo, and the positive group only received Pb acetate 60 mg/kg BW/day. Meanwhile, treatment groups 1, 2, and 3 received 0.2 ml, 0.4 ml, and 0.8 ml IR Bagendit rice leaf infusions successively and Pb acetate 60 mg/kg BW/day. The experiment was conducted for 60 days. Histological preparations of tubular cells were colored using hematoxylin-eosin. Normal cell differences, degeneration, and necrosis of each group were tested using Kruskal Wallis and Mann Whitney tests.This study has revealed that the average normal cells in the positive control group are lower than those in the negative control group and treatment groups 1, 2, and 3. This difference is insignificant with the p = 0.477. Moreover, treatment groups 1, 2, and 3 show decreased cell degeneration and necrosis with significant differences of p = 0.000 and 0.001. IR Bagendit rice leaf infusions could inhibit degeneration and necrosis of renal tubular cells exposed to Pb.
There is no Figure or data content available for this article
- ?adková Z, Száková J, Miholová D, Válek P, Pacáková Z, Vadlejch J, et al. Faecal Excretion Dynamic during Subacute Oral Exposure to Different Pb Species in Rattus norvegicus. Biol Trace Elem Res [Internet]. 2013 May 14;152(2):225–32. Available from: http://link.springer.com/10.1007/s12011-013-9609-8
- Yabe J, Nakayama SM, Nakata H, Toyomaki H, Yohannes YB, Muzandu K, et al. Current trends of blood lead levels, distribution patterns and exposure variations among household members in Kabwe, Zambia. Chemosphere [Internet]. 2020 Mar;243(125412):125412. Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0045653519326529
- Kim KS, Lim H-J, Lim JS, Son JY, Lee J, Lee BM, et al. Curcumin ameliorates cadmium-induced nephrotoxicity in Sprague-Dawley rats. Food Chem Toxicol [Internet]. 2018 Apr;114:34–40. Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0278691518300711
- Jiang S, Shang M, Mu K, Jiang N, Wen H, Wang R, et al. In vitro and in vivo toxic effects and inflammatory responses induced by carboxylated black carbon-lead complex exposure. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf [Internet]. 2018 Dec;165:484–94. Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0147651318309011
- S. S, Darmanto W, Wahyuningsih SPA, Hayati A, Martha Y, Olivia P, et al. ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITIES OF CURCUMIN TO MDA BLOOD SERUM CONCENTRATION AND LEAD LEVELS IN LIVER OF MICE. Malaysian J Sci [Internet]. 2019 Nov 30;38(3):21–9. Available from: https://mjs.um.edu.my/article/view/26602
- Koerniasari, Setiawan, Ngadino, Rustanti. Protective Effects of Ethanol Extract of Mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana L) Pericart Against Lead Acetate-Induces Acetate Induced Hepatotoxicity in Mice. Int J Curr Res [Internet]. 2015;7(2):12518–22. Available from: https://www.journalcra.com/article/protective-effects-ethanol-extract-mangosteen-garcinia-mangostana-l-pericarp-against-lead
- Ishii C, Nakayama SMM, Kataba A, Ikenaka Y, Saito K, Watanabe Y, et al. Characterization and imaging of lead distribution in bones of lead-exposed birds by ICP-MS and LA-ICP-MS. Chemosphere [Internet]. 2018 Dec;212:994–1001. Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0045653518316308
- Flora G, Gupta D, Tiwari A. Toxicity of lead: a review with recent updates. Interdiscip Toxicol [Internet]. 2012 Nov 9;5(2):47–58. Available from: https://content.sciendo.com/doi/10.2478/v10102-012-0009-2
- Rana MN, Tangpong J, Rahman MM. Toxicodynamics of Lead, Cadmium, Mercury and Arsenic- induced kidney toxicity and treatment strategy: A mini review. Toxicol Reports [Internet]. 2018;5(April):704–13. Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S2214750018303883
- Soliman MM, Baiomy AA, Yassin MH. Molecular and Histopathological Study on the Ameliorative Effects of Curcumin Against Lead Acetate-Induced Hepatotoxicity and Nephrototoxicity in Wistar Rats. Biol Trace Elem Res [Internet]. 2015 Sep 11;167(1):91–102. Available from: http://link.springer.com/10.1007/s12011-015-0280-0
- Oyagbemi AA, Omobowale TO, Akinrinde AS, Saba AB, Ogunpolu BS, Daramola O. Lack of reversal of oxidative damage in renal tissues of lead acetate-treated rats. Environ Toxicol [Internet]. 2015 Nov;30(11):1235–43. Available from: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/tox.21994
- Santoso B, Subagio HW, Suromo L, Sunomo HR. Zinc supplementation improves heme biosynthesis in rats exposed to lead. Universa Med [Internet]. 2016 Feb 26;34(1):3. Available from: https://univmed.org/ejurnal/index.php/medicina/article/view/10
- Santosa B, Sunoko HR, Sukeksi A. Aqueous IR Bagendit rice leaf extract decreases reticulocyte count in lead-exposed rats. Universa Med [Internet]. 2018 Apr 18;37(1):57–64. Available from: https://univmed.org/ejurnal/index.php/medicina/article/view/544
- Santosa B. Water Infusion of IR-Bagendit Rice Leaves from Various Locations in Central Java as a Candidate Material to Prevent a Heavy Metal Exposure. J Hunan Univ Sci [Internet]. 2021;48(7):238–43. Available from: http://jonuns.com/index.php/journal/article/view/669
- Santosa B, Darmawati S, Kartika AI, Nuroini F, Ernanto AR, Ayuningtyas A, et al. Isolation, Identification Similarity and Qualitative Expression of Metallothionein Gene in IR-Bagendit Rice (Oryza sativa). Pharmacogn J [Internet]. 2020 Jun 18;12(4):709–15. Available from: http://www.phcogj.com/article/1167
- Shafiekhani M, Ommati MM, Azarpira N, Heidari R, Salarian AA. Glycine supplementation mitigates lead-induced renal injury in mice. J Exp Pharmacol [Internet]. 2019 Feb;Volume 11:15–22. Available from: https://www.dovepress.com/glycine-supplementation-mitigates-lead-induced-renal-injury-in-mice-peer-reviewed-article-JEP
- Mas’ulun MJ, Mustika A, Qurnianingsih E. The Effect of Dandang Gendis Extract (Clinacanthus nutans) on Kidney Histopathological Features of Diabetic Rats Model. Heal Notions [Internet]. 2021 Jan 7;5(01):19–22. Available from: http://heanoti.com/index.php/hn/article/view/hn50104
- Kumar, Abbas AR. Basic Pathology [Internet]. 10th ed. Kumar, Vinay. Abbas AKAJ, editor. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; 2018. 1–91 p. Available from: https://www.elsevier.com/books/robbins-basic-pathology/kumar/978-0-323-35317-5
- Vallon V. Tubular Transport in Acute Kidney Injury: Relevance for Diagnosis, Prognosis and Intervention. Nephron [Internet]. 2016;134(3):160–6. Available from: https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/446448
- Santosa B, Sunoko HR, Sukeksi A. The Analysis, Identification, and Formulation of Metallothionein Extract Available in Roots, Stems, Leaves , Flowers , and Grains of Rice, Corns, Beans , and Soybeans. Int J Sci Eng - IJSE [Internet]. 2016;10(1):17–20. Available from: https://ejournal.undip.ac.id/index.php/ijse/article/view/6099
- Santosa B, Sunoko HR, Sukeksi A. Ekstrak Air Daun Padi Memperbaiki Hematopoesis pada Tikus yang Terpajan Plumbum. Maj Kedokt Bandung [Internet]. 2015;47(2):84–90. Available from: http://journal.fk.unpad.ac.id/index.php/mkb/article/view/458
- Santosa B. Rice leaf Extract for Kidney Damage Prevention in Plumbum exposes rats. In: The 12th International Conference On Lesson Study (ICLS-XII) [Internet]. Universitas Muhamadiah Malang Press; 2021. Available from: https://jurnal.unimus.ac.id/index.php/psn12012010/article/view/1956
How to Cite This
Copyright and Permissions
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Publishing your paper with Jurnal Teknologi Laboratorium (JTL) means that the author or authors retain the copyright in the paper. JTL granted an exclusive reuse license by the author(s), but the author(s) are able to put the paper onto a website, distribute it to colleagues, give it to students, use it in your thesis etc, even commercially. The author(s) can reuse the figures and tables and other information contained in their paper published by JTL in future papers or work without having to ask anyone for permission, provided that the figures, tables or other information that is included in the new paper or work properly references the published paper as the source of the figures, tables or other information, and the new paper or work is not direct at private monetary gain or commercial advantage.
JTL journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. This journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This license lets others remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
JTL journal Open Access articles are distributed under this Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-SA). Articles can be read and shared for All purposes under the following conditions:
- BY: You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- SA: If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.