The wound healing effect of Morinda citrifolia leaf extract and biomolecular analysis on inflammation and proliferation stages in Wistar rats.
This research aims to evaluate the wound healing effect of noni’s leaf extract (Morinda citrifolia L.) based on phytochemical analysis, the number of fibroblast cells, wound diameter, healing time, TNF-a and IL-1 at inflammation stage, PDGF and TGF-b at proliferation stage. This study is a true experimental with a post-test-only control group design. We divided 25 male Wistar rats into five groups; positive control (with povidone-iodine), negative control (with no treatment), treated by NLEE 20%, 25%, and 30%. NLEE has good physical characteristics based on the value of ethanol soluble extract, water-soluble extract, water content, ash content, and acid insoluble ash content. GCMS analysis showed bioactive compounds such as N-ethyl hydrazine carbothioamide (31.57%), 2-furancarboxaldehyde 5-hydroxymethyl (15,64%), 2E-3,7,11,15-tetramethyl-2-hexadecene-1-of (7.08%), 3,5-dihydroxy-6-methyl-2,3-dihydro-4H-pyran-4-one (4.29%), D:C-friedooleana-7,9(11)-dien-3-ol,3beta (4.04%), while the rest are considered as the decanoic acids methyl ester, piperazine (3%) and vitamin E (1%). We observed the slight effects of NLEE 20%, 25%, and 30% on the number of fibroblasts, wound diameter, healing time, TNF-a, IL-1, PDGF, and TGF-b. The optimum concentration of NLEE at any treatment was 20%. However, there were no significant differences between groups based on a two-way ANOVA analysis.
There is no Figure or data content available for this article
- Abdo, Joseph M., Nikolai A. Sopko, Stephen M. Milner. (2020). The applied anatomy of human skin: A model for regeneration. Wound Medicine. Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wndm.2020.100179
- Beldon, P., 2010. The basic science of wound healing. Surgery (Oxford), 28(9), pp.409-412.
- Chhabra, Shruti., Naveen Chhabra, Avneet Kauri. Niti Gupta (2017) Wound Healing Concepts in Clinical Practice of OMFS. J. Maxillofac. Oral Surg. (Oct–Dec 2017) 16(4):403–423
- de Melo, A., Araújo-Neto, I., Sampaio, T., Pinheiro, F., do Rêgo, A., et al., 2017. Effect of nanostructured extract Morinda citrofolia L. (Noni) in infected wounds in rats. International Journal of Development Research, 7(6), pp.13501-13507.
- Farid, M.M., S.R. Hussein, L.F. Ibrahim, M.A. El Desouky, A.M. Elsayed, A.A. El Oqlah, and M.M. Saker. 2015 Cytotoxic activity and phytochemical analysis of Arum palaestinum Boiss. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, 5, 944-947.
- Gilbert RWD, Vickaryous MK dan Viloria-Petit AM. (2016). Signalling by transforming growth factor beta isoforms in wound healing and tissue regeneration.Journal of Developmental Biology, 4(21), 1-21.
- Glim, J. E., Egmond, M. V., Niessen, F. B., Everts, V., dan Beelen, R. H. J., 2013. Detrimental dermal wound healing: What can we learn from the oral mucosa? Wound Healing Society, 21(5), pp.1-9.
- Haestidyatami., Vania Lannisa,I Wayan Sugiritama, Ni Made Linawati. (2019) Pengaruh ekstrak krim Morinda citrifolia terhadap jumlah fibroblas pada penyembuhan luka tikus Wistar. Intisari Sains Medis 2019, Volume 10, Number 3: 679-683
- Larjava, H. Oral wound healing, cell biology and clinical management. West Sussex: John Wiley & Sons Inc. 2012.
- Melo, Adriana Mota Bezerra de.,Irami Araújo-Neto, Tarciso Bruno Montenegro Sampaio, Francisco Irochima Pinheiro, Amália Cinthia Meneses do Rêgo &Irami Araújo-Filho.(2017). Effect of nanostructured extract Morinda Citrifolia. L (Noni) in infected wound in rats. International Journal of Development Research Vol. 07, Issue, 06, pp.13501-13507.
- Mi Mi Yee. (2019). Investigation of Phytochemical, Chemical Composition and Antimicrobial Activities of Noni Leaf (Morinda citrifolia Linn) . International Journal of Current Innovations in Advanced Research. Volume-2, Issue-5: 35-45.
- Parmadi, Anom., Sri Rejeki, Siwi Hastuti. (2019). Formulation Development and Physical Test of Leaf Ethanol Extract Cream Noni (Morinda Citrifolia L) as a wound healer. Proceedings International Conference on Healthcare Vol.1 No. 1:20-26.
- Pebri, Ines Gusti., Rinidar, Amiruddin. (2017). The Effect of Leaf Extract Binahong (Anredera cordifolia) for Wounds Healing on Mice. JIMVET E- ISSN : 2540-9492.
- Pereira, Lucas Olivo Martins., Wagner Vilegas, Marcelo Marucci Pereira Tangerina, Karuppusamy Arunachalam, Sikiru Olaitan Balogun Paulo
- Ritsu, Masae, Kazuyoshi Kawakami, Emi Kanno, Hiromasa Tanno, Keiko Ishii, Yoshimichi Imai, Ryoko Maruyama, Masahiro Tachi. (2017). Critical role of tumor necrosis factor-a in the early process of wound healing in skin. Journal of Dermatology & Dermatologic Surgery 21 (2017) 14–19.
- Sabirin, Indah Puti Rahmayani., Euis Reni Yuslianti. (2019). Effect of Topical Noni (Morinda citrifolia L.) Leaf Extract Paste in Carrageenan- induced Paw Edema on Wistar Rats. Global Medical and Health Communication. 2019;7(2):116–22
- Saraphanchotiwitthaya, A. and Sripalakit, P., 2015. Anti-inflammatory effect of Morinda citrifolia leaf extract on macrophage RAW 264.7 cells. ScienceAsia, 41(1), p.5.
- Senja, Rima Yulia., Nur Rahmi Hidayati,Indah Setyaningsih. (2017). Activities of Ethanol Extract Noni Leaf (Morinda citrifolia L) ointment for wound healing in male rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus). Akademi Farmasi Muhammadiyah Cirebon.
- Shalini, K. and K. Ilango. 2021 Preliminary phytochemical studies, GC-MS analysis and in vitro antioxidant activity of selected medicinal plants and its polyherbal formulation. Pharmacognosy Journal, 13.
- Tarfiani, Isma Nanda. (2018). Uji Efektivitas Fraksi n-Heksana daun mengkudu (Morinda citrifolia L.) dengan pembawa vasleub terhadap penyembuhan luka sayat pada tikus. Universitas Sumatera Utara.
- Torres MAO, de Fátima Braga Magalhães I, Mondêgo-Oliveira R, de Sá JC, Rocha AL, Abreu-Silva AL. 2017. One Plant, Many Uses: A Review of the Pharmacological Applications of Morinda citrifolia. Phytother Res. May 1
- Zhang M, Jiang F, Zhang X, Wang S, Jin Y, Zhang W dan Jiang X. (2017). The effects of Platelet-Derived Growth Factor-BB human dental pulp stem cells mediated dentin-pulp complex regeneration. Stem Cells Translational Medicine, 6, 2126-2134.
How to Cite This
Copyright and Permissions
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Publishing your paper with Jurnal Teknologi Laboratorium (JTL) means that the author or authors retain the copyright in the paper. JTL granted an exclusive reuse license by the author(s), but the author(s) are able to put the paper onto a website, distribute it to colleagues, give it to students, use it in your thesis etc, even commercially. The author(s) can reuse the figures and tables and other information contained in their paper published by JTL in future papers or work without having to ask anyone for permission, provided that the figures, tables or other information that is included in the new paper or work properly references the published paper as the source of the figures, tables or other information, and the new paper or work is not direct at private monetary gain or commercial advantage.
JTL journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. This journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This license lets others remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
JTL journal Open Access articles are distributed under this Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-SA). Articles can be read and shared for All purposes under the following conditions:
- BY: You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- SA: If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.